FEATURED BUSINESS: Seniors’ Choice
3 Simple Rules for Hiring a Handyman and/or Contractor courtesy of Seniors’ Choice Home Improvement Specialists
Rule #1: Have a clear idea of what you want…and make a list!
With such a broad reaching profession, it is incumbent on the homeowner or business owner to ask the right questions if you want to hire intelligently. Before even considering calling, get together a list of the things you want done. In the craft we fondly call this the “laundry list” or the “honey-do list”
Though there are many handymen/contractors with a tremendous range of skills you can’t assume anything. It is important to go over the list with the individual/company later in the screening process. Your goal is to decide if this person will do enough of your work to make hiring him/her worthwhile.
Rule#2: Develop a list of handymen/contractor prospects
One of the best ways to start the search is to receive a trusted referral from a friend, relative or business associate. This type of referral makes the screening process a little easier since you have some information about the company before you talk to him/her on the phone… or have him/her standing at your threshold! Be wary if you leave a message and your call isn’t returned within 24 hours… if this is how they treat their potential customers, who knows how responsive they will be if you become a customer.
Rule #3: You must ask these questions!
- Request at least a few references… and then.. check them out!
- Ask direct questions about the technician’s experience and ability.
- How does the company price their work? Do they give FREE estimates?
- For many jobs, general liability insurance is NOT optional! Though the job size may be small, a little mistake can lead to a big disaster.
Is the job over $500 including labor and supplies?.. if YES then you need to hire a licensed contractor.You can verify the license on-line California License State Board http://www.cslb.ca.gov/ at or call 1-800-321-CSLB (2752).
- ALERT Be advised that unlicensed individuals pose a risk to you and your family’s financial security. They expose you to significant financial harm in the event that a worker is injured while on your property, if your property is damaged, and/or if the work is incomplete and/or faulty. Few, if any, unlicensed individuals have general liability insurance, bonding or workers’ compensation insurance. Don’t take the chance in order to save a few dollars. You’ll probably end up paying more in the long run …
Seniors’ Choice Home Improvement Specialists are a Certified Aging in Place Specialist and a proud member of the National Aging in Place Council. For more information about Seniors’ Choice and the handyman/contractor services they offer or to schedule a home safety assessment by a Certified Aging in Place Specialist, please call 760-518-1836 or visit their website at www.seniorschoicesd.com.